Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Web4Ren Forum (W4RF): Many sorts of information of potential relevance to those interested in Renaissance Intellectual History
15.12.2017 at 03:27:05
News: 2017-09-11: Back to normal.
Not exactly news: You are cordially invited to read, to register (if you've not already done so), to post ... .

Pages: 1
Lahtinen: Niccolò Machiavelli and Louis Althusser (Read 2958 times)
hck
ModeratorAndAdmin

Lahtinen: Niccolò Machiavelli and Louis Althusser
15.07.2009 at 10:03:05

I pondered some time whether to put this into the section dedicated to "Publications without open access" or here, and my decision to put it here may (and perhaps should) be considered as idiosyncratic at the best. It tells probably more about what I myself do believe intellectual history is about than about anything else (and I might very well read - and perhaps even like - said book nevertheless!).
Anyway:
Mikko Lahtinen  
Gareth Griffiths & Kristina Köhli (trans.):
Politics and Philosophy. Niccolò Machiavelli and Louis Althusser's Aleatory Materialism
(= Historical Materialism Book Series ; 23)
(=      Niccolò Machiavelli ja aleatorinen materialsmi : Louis Althusser ja Machiavellin konjunktuurit <English>)
Leiden : Brill 2009
ISBN: 978 90 04 17650 8

As of now the book is listed as "forthcoming".

Here is the abstract:
Quote:
Louis Althusser’s interpretation of Niccolò Machiavelli has never really been studied in any detail as an analysis of political action and intervention. The same is also true for Althusser’s notion of aleatory materialism. Instead, these have conventionally been studied from the viewpoint of a philosophical perspective in which politics is excluded. The objective of the present book thus runs against many of the prevailing views on
Althusser. Here the emphasis is placed on Althusser's advancement of a theory of materialist politics.
The main argument put forward is that, for Althusser, it was essential to reflect on how the conjunctural understanding of history and reality could offer a theoretical starting point for a subversive political strategy.

for contact information etc. concerning hck (Heinrich C. Kuhn): see http://www.phil-hum-ren.uni-muenchen.de/php/Kuhn/
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1